Believe it or not, fitness instructors do more than spend their time thinking of new and creative ways to torture you in class (though that is one favorite hobby). Get to know more about your favorite Fuse instructors in our new Fuse Teacher Facts feature. First up: Fuse Pilates founder and Creative Director Mariska Breland!
1. I always tried to get out of gym class when I was a kid. I used my appendectomy as an excuse for almost two months.
2. I have had five surgeries.
3. I eat dark chocolate every single day.
4. I am a dual citizen – U.S. and the Netherlands.
5. I taught myself how to play the piano when I was a kid, but have since forgotten most of it.
6. I always sleep with socks on, even in the summer.
7. Rollover is the Pilates exercise that is hardest for me.
8. I am a huge nerd. I was Valedictorian in high school, graduated summa cum laude from college, and obsessively love comic book movies and Game of Thrones.
9. I once did a video project on serial killers and spoke to several, including the Son of Sam. That makes me great at the game Never Have I Ever.
10. I hate shopping, so I buy most everything online.
11. I teach a workshop on Pilates for Neurological Conditions all over the world. It is probably my greatest accomplishment.
12. I draw and paint. My favorite thing to draw is children.
13. I don’t want to have children, and I never have.
14. My mom was from Holland, and my dad is from Mississippi. It made for an interesting childhood.
15. I was never able to do a cartwheel (still can’t).
16. I have two different colored eyes. Both are green, but one is lighter than the other.
17. I read every night for an hour before I go to bed. The earliest I ever go to bed is midnight.
18. I love my dog more than I love most people.
19. My most prized possession is a diary that my Dutch grandfather kept on a cross-country trip we took when I was five.
20. I almost walked away from my husband when he was proposing to me. I was wondering why he was acting so weird.
21. I hope when you die, it’s like you’re floating in the ocean forever. That would be great.
22. The gif keyboard app brings me a ridiculous amount of joy.
23. I used to work as a Creative Director for multi-million dollar events, and I’ve worked with Ben Stiller, Queen Latifah, Charlton Heston, and other celebs.
24. My first job was at Blockbuster Video. It was great – you got ten free movie rentals per week. This was a long time before Netflix.
25. I have no sense of direction. GPS is the greatest invention of my lifetime.
Want to take one of Mariska’s classes? Register for a session online!