It’s time to meet Rachel, one of our amazing mat teachers! Rachel took Mariska’s Classical Pilates teacher training last year, so her classes always have a great blend of traditional and Fuse-style exercises in every session to keep you on your toes. You can catch her Tuesdays at 6:30am and Sundays at 9:30am. Read on to learn more about Rachel!
1. I participated in Mariska’s inaugural Classical Mat Teacher Training in October 2016!
2. I’m hyperflexible – Pilates helps me keep everything in place.
3. I started Pilates after I was discharged from physical therapy. When I moved to D.C., I ramped up my running and yoga – as well as sitting at a desk for my job. It turned into a perfect storm for SI joint instability and sciatic nerve pain that generated numbness and tingling in my lower body and prompted me to find a great PT.
4. Fuse was my studio of choice when I graduated from PT. So many of the moves for your transverse abs mirror what I did in physical therapy. I was hooked!
5. My favorite exercise is swan. When I first started Pilates, I was scared to go for any sort of extension. But now I understand how engaged abdominals help protect my lower back – swan makes it so fun!
6. I thrive on movement. As a youngster, my mom would allow me to run laps around the table during dinner, pausing for mandatory pit stops to take bites of food. This has not changed as an adult.
7. Regardless of my activeness, I’ve never been in to professional sports. I don’t have any affinity towards any team, and if I’m at a sporting event, I’m 150% more excited about the food.
8. My current recreational activities are rowing, cycling, and running. An of course, Pilates!
9. I was obsessed with horses from the age of 3. I pretended I was one most of the time I was outside playing in our yard.
10. I think I would have been taller if I hadn’t picked up riding. Accidents happen and I usually landed straight on my head.
11. I dislocated my tailbone during a riding accident where I hit a metal fence. I had to stand up during a lot of things after that…movies…class…
12. My mom put me on a performance dance team when I was young to help bring me out of my shell. (I was painfully shy.)
13. The biggest event I performed at was the Poinsettia Bowl halftime show. It was televised!
14. As an adolescent, I went to Vegas annually for national dance championships. I’ve never been as an adult and I’m okay with that. If I had to go back as an adult my focus would still be on Cirque du Soleil.
15. I was born and raised in San Diego. I moved to the east coast when I was 18, thinking I could move back if I didn’t like it…
16. I bought a house in D.C. a little over a year ago.
17. I’m really allergic to mosquito bites (and they love me). Skin So Soft expedition strength is my best friend during the DC summers.
18. My first job in D.C. was working as a catering manager and waiting tables at a small restaurant. I’m still interested in what’s popping up in D.C.s food, cocktail, and beer scene.
19. I love craft beer – big, hoppy IPAs are my favorite.
20. I was pescatarian for eight years from high school through graduate school.
21. I love learning about nutrition and achieving wellness through food. If I could do college over again, I would study nutrition.
22. I studied Political Science…twice (undergrad and masters). My day job isn’t related to politics at all.
23. I work in learning & development facilitating and creating on-boarding and ongoing training for those who work in the Content division of the company I work for.
24. I dislike walking down stairs. I could walk up stairs for days – going down is way more effort for me (and sometimes makes me dizzy).
25. I struggle counting to 10 while teaching class. It’s going to sound something like: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10. A couple extra reps never hurt anyone though!
Want to take one of Rachel’s classes? Register for a session online!